FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Medical Device Clinical Trials


FDA clinical trial medical device

FDA Seeks Comment on Draft Guidance Document

FDA has issued two new draft guidance documents on medical device clinical trials to support a Pre-Market Approval application (PMA). Approximately 30% of FDA regulated clinical trials are for medical devices and are regulated by the IDE regulations (21 CFR 812). The remaining 70% are for drugs and biologics and are regulated by the IND regulations (21 CFR 312). The majority of guidance documents, including ICH E6 for good clinical practice, and the majority of clinical trial vendors address drug products, not medical devices. Although Good Clinical Practice is relevant to all clinical trials there are unique aspects for device studies as opposed to drug studies. This is one reason that FDA issued a device-specific guidance document.

The draft guidance document, Draft Guidance for Industry, Clinical Investigators, and Food and Drug Administration Staff – Design Considerations for Pivotal Clinical Investigations for Medical Devices (August 15, 2011), addresses therapeutic and aesthetic devices and diagnostic devices. Areas the document address include; Regulatory Framework for Level of Evidence and Study Design, The Importance of Exploratory Studies in Pivotal Study Design, Clinical Outcome Studies, Diagnostic Clinical Performance Studies, and Sustaining the Level of Evidence of Clinical Studies. The guidance states that its scope is:

clinical trials FDA medical device

Design Considerations for Pivotal Studies

“This guidance describes principles that should be followed for the design of premarket clinical studies1 that are pivotal in establishing the safety and effectiveness of a medical device. Practical issues and pitfalls in pivotal clinical study design are discussed, along with their effects on the conclusions that can be drawn from the studies concerning safety and effectiveness.”

The Agency also released the draft guidance document; Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff – Factors to Consider when Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Review (August 15, 2011). The Agency states:

FDA clinical trial medical device

Benefit-Risk Determination

“This guidance document explains the factors that FDA considers when making benefit-risk determinations in the premarket review of certain medical devices. The processes discussed in this guidance are applicable to devices subject to premarket approval (PMA) applications and, in limited cases, devices subject to premarket notification (510(k)) requirements. This guidance applies to both diagnostic devices and therapeutic devices.

Although guidance is not binding, the concepts and factors described herein generally capture how benefit-risk determinations are made by FDA during the premarket review process.”

Read the Guidance Document on Design Considerations

Read the Guidance Document on Benefit/Risk Determinations

====

ALSO of interest: FDA is currently accepting comments on the IVD Draft Guidance Document on In Vitro Companion Diagnostic Devices.

The draft guidance was issued 14 July, Bastille Day. I wish that I could explain it to you as well as Jamie K. Wolszon at the FDA Law Blog, but I can’t so I recommend taking a look over there:

====

FDA Law Blog on IVD Companion Devices

====

You can help out GxP Perspectives! Please let your colleagues and friends know about GxP Perspectives. I also encourage you to get an email subscription (on the sidebar to your right) or join the LinkedIn group (below).

====

Required Summer Reading: Essex IRB Warning Letter. Earlier this year FDA warned of a fictitious submission to central IRBs. Essex took the bait and approved the fictitious submission.

====

On The Blogroll: On Biostatistics and Clinical Trials– Finally a blog on biostatistics that I can almost read:) It is written by Dr. Deng, 邓春勤 A Medical Doctor turned into Biostatistician in Clinical Trial and Drug Development Industry

====

FDA warning letter

On LinkedIn


Please join GxP Perspectives on LinkedIn at:

GxP Perspectives LinkedIn Group

====

GxP Perspectives has returned to twitter: @GxPPerspectives

Follow GxPPerspectives on Twitter
.
What are your thoughts? Please share your comments on Medical Device Clinical Trials.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: